Friday, August 17, 2007

Hotel Reservations

If you are making a hotel reservation online this summer you may want to stop at HotelReservations.com and run a price check first. I typically start with the usual suspects (Priceline, Kayak, Travelocity and Expedia), but that might change. I saw an add for Hotel Reservations and had some time to kill today so played around with the site. The site surprised me. Most places claim that they can undercut other vendor's prices, but in practice they are all the same. I did not find this when I used Hotel Reservations. I'll explain more below.

On Hotel Reservations you can choose from hotels, motels, resorts, and vacations rentals among other things. I ran a quick Kayak search and compared the results to HotelReservations.com and the prices were surprisingly worse on Kayak. For purposes of my not so scientific survey, I conducted a search for Milwaukee, WI hotels. Based on the results of my search, it looks like the mid-tier hotels are about $20 cheaper on HotelReservations.com than the travel spider sites. In my particular search I compared two hotels the Ambassador in Milwaukee as well as the Hyatt. The Ambassador was $120 on Hotel Reservations vs $159 on Orbitz. The Hyatt was $150 vs $178 on Expedia.

As an added bonus, right now the company has a deal running where you can get a $30 rebate if you book a two night stay through the site. If you add in the extra $30 savings, the deals begin to look even more attractive. The site also has flights and cars available, but I was not able to compare the pricing on these for this post.

So head over, you might save some cash the next time you make Hotel Reservations and of course it is free. I think I am working the site into my usual rotation of travel searching.